Razer’s success: Be loud
Companies have different brand personalities and values, and this translates into how they're being perceived. Min-Liang Tan (pictured), Asia Pacific CEO of gaming hardware brand Razer, swears by a list of beliefs that create the brand's uncompromising edge.
1. No "one-size fits all" for events: Companies need to be adaptable depending on the situation.
2. Be loud: I've been to many events where the crowd is sombre or people are just hanging around waiting for something to happen.
Our stage at the PIKOM PC Fair in Malaysia became so rowdy we were issued two official shutdown warnings; had more than 40 complaints from neighbours and had security personnel standing with decibel barometers to make sure the mob didn't go overboard - now that's a real event.
3. Cultivate your community: We have some really passionate fans that will travel around the region just to attend our events. They are the ones who will queue up the night before our events, pre-order our products the minute we announce them and even get our logo tattooed on their bodies. And in return, we tap into our devoted fans for feedback and suggestions on how to improve our products. It is a win-win situation.
4. Be phenomenal: We live by the word "phenomenal" and we believe that you are only as good as your last event. That is why we try to make each and every event the best we can do. If that means tearing everything down and redoing it the night before, we will do it.
5. Be engaging: Social media is a huge part of what we do. We have a dedicated department constantly reaching out to the community - before, during and after the event - and we make sure they can experience the entire event with videos, photos and updates even without being there physically.
6. Teamwork: The fundament of a successful event is the team, which is why you need to form a team that truly believes in your brand to take care of your events. It's more than just having solid skill sets, you need people who are passionate enough to live and breathe your brand.
Look out for Razer's full cover story interview in the upcoming print edition of Marketing Events magazine.
This is part of Marketing Events' weekly news bulletin. To subscribe to ME's bi-monthly print magazine and online newsletters, please go to www.marketing-interactive.com/subscribe
To read ME's latest print issue in PDF click here.
‘Like' our Facebook page for more real-time and interactive event marketing updates.
- Razer Asia Pacific Pte Ltd