Google launches local Chrome Web Store
Malaysia- Google Malaysia has launched a local Chrome Web Store, with brands such as AirAsia, Maybank, Malaysiakini.com and The Malaysian Insider among the first few to utilise the platform.
Launched globally in 2008, the Chrome Web Store is an open marketplace that allows users to browse, discover and purchase various apps. The Store also gives developers a dedicated place to showcase their web applications.
The AirAsia Chrome app offers users a four-step option for flight booking. Arun Verma, head of technology and innovation AirAsia, told A+M the app marks AirAsia's first product launch following its rebrand.
Local news portal The Malaysian Insider will be looking at viewership trends when it comes to providing users content on this platform. Its chrome app has a clean and easy interface for viewers to browse news. Jahabar Sadiq, CEO of The Malaysian Insider, told A+M its app, which cost RM10,000 to develop, gives advertisers a new avenue to reach out to the brands' audiences.
Online portal Malaysiakini.com's Chrome App, on the other hand, is more photo driven, allowing readers to browse through photos and comment. According to Premesh Chandran, CEO of Malaysiakini.com, the concept of viewing news through its visually driven app would give users a different way of consuming news.
Google Malaysia country manager Sajith Sivanandan said the partnerships and joint marketing efforts would drive awareness to the local platform.
Follow @MarketingEds on Twitter for breaking news throughout the day.
Have something to say? Comment on our Facebook page or contact the writer at email@example.com.
Google Related Stories:
- Google debunks digital myths
- Burberry: Seal it with a kiss
- Why Baidu will not compete with Google... yet
- What was Google thinking?
- Grocery trips starts online for Filipino women
- Locals proud of home-grown companies
- Amazon launches app store for China
- Google dedicates site for Philippine elections
- Google backs female entrepreneurs
- Muslim Pro goes from app to web
- Volunteers update Google Maps for elections
- Bizarre HR: Google’s $100 million man
- Whatsapp becomes new target in tech wars
- Google Trends: The iPhone vs Samsung
- Prepping for election day
- Google Chrome goes nuts
- Android tablets tipped to outsell iPads
- Google opens e-learning channel for students
- The changing face of recruitment
- Google local, ifva global?