Philippines boasts top online video views
Philippines - A new study by Nielsen found that viewership of online videos in Asia, including the Philippines, is strong and on the rise.
The Philippines had recorded the highest video consumption, with a reported 82% of consumers viewing online videos at least once a week. Across Asia, 68% of consumers are engaged in viewing online content at least once a week.
According to the Nielsen Global Multi-Screen Report, four in five Asian consumers, or 80%, have viewed online videos in the last month, which is 6% higher than the global average. This is also a 5% increase from 2010.
The Nielsen Global Multi Screen Survey was conducted between August and September 2011, polling more than 28,000 online consumers in 56 countries throughout Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, Africa and North America.
"The growing popularity of online video content can largely be attributed to increasing internet penetration and ownership of connected devices, and consumers seeking out more on-demand media content," Kerry Brown, APMEA region cross-platform audience measurement director of Nielsen, said.
Additionally, the market research company found that trust in online video ads was low in Asia, with only 33% of Asian consumers trusting in ads they see through the online video platform. What's more, only 36% found the messages delivered through those ads were relevant to what they were searching for.
Brown said the online video advertising opens up a new door for agencies and advertisers to engage with their consumers. But the content needs to be relatable to attract the right audience.
"With surging consumer participation, online video advertising is becoming an important consideration in companies' advertising schedules," she added.
Follow @MarketingEds on Twitter for breaking news throughout the day.
Have something to say? Comment on our Facebook page or contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nielsen Media Research
Nielsen Media Research Related Stories:
- Malaysians slightly more optimistic
- Chinese travellers prove their high-net worth
- Filipinos prepared to spend more in 2013
- "We’re still in recession", say Hong Kongers
- Philippine consumers most loyal in the world
- APAC consumers go for global brands
- Catching mobile users at washroom time
- TNS appoints new MD
- Beverage brands pour big bucks into retail
- Malaysians seek experience on social media
- Nielsen to offer mobile insights
- Time for brands to take social seriously
- Radio at an all-time high
- Malaysia consumer confidence declines
- Malaysians still cautious with spending
- Private label brands need to market better
- Update: Industry lauds new OOH currency
- Nielsen reveals new TV targeting tool
- TV groups in battle for ratings dominance
- CTRs don't click with campaigns anymore