Local consumers remain optimistic
Philippines - Filipino consumers have proven themselves to be a rather optimistic bunch, as the first quarter of the year came to a close.
It was ranked the third most optimistic nation globally with an index of 118 by Nilesen in its latest report.
According to the global consumer confidence findings, compared to the same quarter last year, consumer confidence amongst Filipino netizens grew eight percentage points. Filipino's also shared the third spot with Indonesia, while India and Saudi Arabia took on first and second places respectively.
A noticeable 79% of online consumers in the Philippines also described their personal finances for the next 12 months as excellent or good. Along with India and Indonesia, Philippines topped the global list of most optimistic consumers in the world on state of personal finances.
As with most Southeast Asian countries, the number of consumers with no spare cash in the Philippines remained relatively low. Only 3% claimed not to have spare cash while 74% online consumers in the Philippines made it a point to set aside money for savings. Globally, only 50% and 66% in Asia Pacific made it a point to do so.
While concern for the economy remained a top worry amongst nearly 20% consumers in Southeast Asia, 27% of online Filipinos said they were most concerned about job security in the country.
Filipinos, similar to netizens in Southeast Asia, were also concerned about work/life balance, health and parents' welfare and happiness.
The survey was conducted between 10-27 February 2012 and polled more than 28,000 online consumers in 56 countries throughout Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, Africa and North America.
Follow us @Marketingeds on Twitter for breaking stories throughout the day.
Have something to say? Comment on our Facebook page or contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nielsen Media Research
Nielsen Media Research Related Stories:
- Malaysians slightly more optimistic
- Chinese travellers prove their high-net worth
- Filipinos prepared to spend more in 2013
- "We’re still in recession", say Hong Kongers
- Philippine consumers most loyal in the world
- APAC consumers go for global brands
- Catching mobile users at washroom time
- TNS appoints new MD
- Beverage brands pour big bucks into retail
- Malaysians seek experience on social media
- Nielsen to offer mobile insights
- Time for brands to take social seriously
- Radio at an all-time high
- Malaysia consumer confidence declines
- Malaysians still cautious with spending
- Private label brands need to market better
- Update: Industry lauds new OOH currency
- Nielsen reveals new TV targeting tool
- TV groups in battle for ratings dominance
- CTRs don't click with campaigns anymore