Nielsen: APAC consumers most confident
Regional – Consumer confidence among Asians has rallied with a four point increase from the fourth quarter of 2011 despite economic drawbacks, Nielsen's report showed.
With an index score of 103, consumers in Asia Pacific said they are more optimistic about their personal finances and ability to spend.
Asia Pacific is the world’s most confident region in the first quarter of 2012, according to Nielsen, followed by Latin America.
12 out of the 14 surveyed counties in Asia Pacific registered an increase in consumer confidence, namely China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand.
While global economic conditions are fragile in the depths of the European sovereign debt crisis, overall confidence rose in 68% of global markets measured.
India remains the most confident country in the world, while the Koreans are the most pessimistic in Asia.
Speaking of the consumer market in China, Yan Xuan, president of Nielsen Greater China, said it is largely backed by government support.
“The government’s firm support for small and medium-sized enterprises through the expansion of credit, a policy shift to create domestic consumption and demand, and the continued enforcement of restrictions designed to deflate the real estate bubble are all contributing to Chinese consumers’ optimism.”
Looking ahead, the study predicts consumers from Asia Pacific to continue to lead the world in savings.
66% of consumers surveyed in the region cited they put spare cash into savings, a double of those in Europe (33%).
Nielsen's consumer confidence index levels above and below a baseline of 100, indicating the degree of optimism and pessimism.
The survey polled more than 28,000 internet consumers in 56 countries across Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and North America.
Follow us @Marketingeds on Twitter for breaking stories throughout the day.
Have something to say? Comment on our Facebook page or contact the writer at email@example.com.
- Nielsen Media Research
Nielsen Media Research Related Stories:
- Malaysians slightly more optimistic
- Chinese travellers prove their high-net worth
- Filipinos prepared to spend more in 2013
- "We’re still in recession", say Hong Kongers
- Philippine consumers most loyal in the world
- APAC consumers go for global brands
- Catching mobile users at washroom time
- TNS appoints new MD
- Beverage brands pour big bucks into retail
- Malaysians seek experience on social media
- Nielsen to offer mobile insights
- Time for brands to take social seriously
- Radio at an all-time high
- Malaysia consumer confidence declines
- Malaysians still cautious with spending
- Private label brands need to market better
- Update: Industry lauds new OOH currency
- Nielsen reveals new TV targeting tool
- TV groups in battle for ratings dominance
- CTRs don't click with campaigns anymore