Toshiba relocates Thai facility
Thailand – Toshiba Corporation will rebuild its semiconductor manufacturing operations in Thailand by relocating its Thai office to a new manufacturing facility.
The decision to rebuild Toshiba Semiconductor Thailand Co. was brought on by the company's goal to meet future demands while replacing the factory that was engulfed by the 2011 floods.
Toshiba's Thai plant, which carries out back-end processes for small signal devices and photocouplers, will be moved to 304 Industrial Park in Prachinburi, about 140km northeast of Bangkok.
Additionally, the new plant will cover about 135,000 square metres, and look to provide greater operating efficiency and higher productivity.
It will also look to improve cost competitiveness in its processes, strengthen the bottom-line and boost overall strength of the discrete business unit.
The double-storey plant is scheduled to be completed in the first quarter of 2013, with mass production to commence the following quarter.
Last year, the floods had forced suspension of operations at the plant due to the inundation of Toshiba's Thai manufacturing facilities. It has since transferred operations to production facilities in Japan and Malaysia, while also making use of outsourcing.
Follow @ProcurementAsia on Twitter for breaking stories throughout the day.
Toshiba Related Stories:
- The Edge eyes India, Toshiba uses memes
- Toshiba targets youths with new range
- Toshiba builds water R&D centre
- Fujitsu ends merger with Toshiba
- Toshiba to supply turbines to NTPC
- ZenithOptimedia bags Toshiba's media biz
- Toshiba outsources to Samsung
- Panasonic, Toshiba plug into India
- Toshiba trims fatty excess
- Toshiba launches 25th anniversary campaign
- Toshiba's high-end transformation
- Toshiba finds a celebrity friend in Owen Yap
- CEVA extends Toshiba partnership
- Toshiba strikes key NBA marketing deal
- Puma tees up for Her World Golf Challenge
- Toshiba slashes 3,900 more jobs
- Japanese tech giants boost measures to combat crisis
- Panasonic, Toshiba to close factories in Asia
- Toshiba seeks to buy Fujitsu’s HDD business
- Toshiba anticipates loss in first half of 2008