Local women earn big bucks
Singapore – Close to two-fifths of top management in Singapore are women who earn an average monthly income of US$7,000 (S$8,900).
This is according to Synovate’s Pan Asia Pacific (APAC) Cross Media survey, which studied the top 20% of Singapore’s income bracket. With 38% of women among senior business leaders, Singapore is well ahead of neighbouring cities such as Hong Kong (28%), Kuala Lumpur (17%) and Seoul (4%) in gender diversity.
However, Singapore still lags behind Bangkok and Manila, which had 54% and 53% of women in positions of power, respectively.
The survey also found corporate social responsibility (CSR) is climbing to the top of leaders’ agenda. This year, 82% of 1,680 local respondents felt it is important to give back to society, an increase from the 74% reported last year.
There was also a jump in the percentage of those who expect more companies to demonstrate CSR, from 74% in 2010 to 81% this year.
Additionally, the affluent in Singapore were found most likely to own a smart phone or laptop, ahead of their APAC peers. The number of respondents with a smart phone more than doubled, from 23% to 56% this year, and the percentage of laptop users stood at 83%, ahead of the regional average of 56%.
“Singapore has become the region’s rising hub of innovation and test bed to gauge receptiveness of fresh services and new ideas,” Steve Garton, Synovate’s global head of media, said.
There was also an increase in the number of Singaporeans, from 12% last year to 22% this year, who said they were among the first to purchase a new product or gadget.
To subscribe to Human Resources’ monthly print magazines and daily online newsletters, please go to http://www.humanresourcesonline.net/subscribe/
To view exclusive HRTV videos and commentary on HR issues, visit The Office Snitch
More quality Lighthouse titles
Get your marketing department up to speed with Asia's most read marketing site
Want to get on the right side of the procurement department?
Direct them to Procurement Asia
- Synovate Asia Pacific
Synovate Asia Pacific Related Stories:
- Synovate buffs retail and lifestyle team
- Synovate tweaks Greater China team
- TV and mobile dominate consumers in China
- The rich continue to spend downturn or not
- Can research save your life (or at least your marketing strategy) in a downturn?
- Synovate trend spotters head online
- Was Hong Kong ready for a post SARS outbreak?
- PAX: Laptop crazy but not internet
- The Trouble With Media Measurement
- Readership of print newspapers drop
- Don’t keep me hanging, study says
- Women catching up on digital gadget ownership
- Malaysians want to be richer but are easily satisfied
- Youngsters glued to their screens
- Favourite idols of young Malaysians
- Youths can't live without internet and mobile
- Synovate: Levi’s is the most popular jeans
- Synovate goes after multi-market clients
- Synovate acquires Filter Group
- Terrestial TV viewing up: PAX