HKTB gains from summer marketing push
Hong Kong - The Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) appears to be reaping the fruits of its HK$42 million summer marketing campaign as visitor arrivals to Hong Kong reached the highest ever single-month level in July.
The city recorded more than 3.1 million visitor arrivals in July, a 32% increase on the year before, mainly contributed by a surge in number of travellers from mainland China (40%) and South and Southeast Asia (39%).
According to executive director of the HKTB Anthony Lau, the group allocated HK$42.5 million to this year's summer promotions, of which over 80% was used for publicity in key markets.
Lau said that the promotions mainly targeted at the young and family travellers in the Mainland and other short-haul markets, which are reflected by the visitor number in July.
The HKTB's Summer Spectacular campaign, titled 'Hot Events. Cool Place.', has been running across an array of media including print, port-of-entry, bus body, MTR, tram shelters, shopping malls, street banners and visitor centres across the city since June. Grey Hong Kong handled creatives while Mindshare handled media planning and buying.
On the digital side, the HKTB tapped Agenda to launch a viral campaign to search for the ‘coolest dancing kings and queens' around the world. The online competition attracted over 1,000 entries since it was launched in July.
Other marketing push included the distribution of a 'Family Fun Guide' featuring popular local cartoon character McDull to attract family visitors from Mainland China and Taiwan, and the first ‘Visa go Hong Kong Super Shopper’ contest for visitors and locals to stimulate spending.
More quality Lighthouse titles
Managing people? For HR and leadership strategy, Human Resources has it covered.
Want to get on the right side of the procurement department?
Direct them to Procurement Asia.
- Grey Worldwide
- Hong Kong Tourism Board
Grey Worldwide Related Stories:
- Spatial Access reels in Madison’s Joshi
- Yong enters the LAB
- Adi Satria wraps up at Utusan Media
- Malaysia Airports calls for credentials
- G2 Star Echo secures new projects
- Grey bags JP Morgan project
- Grey bags creatives biz for ESPN channels
- Grey Hong Kong snatches outdoor Gold Lion
- Grey wins Hutchison property project
- SHKF lifts clients' dreams with cranes
- Grey wins Yingda Life creative duties
- OSIM hands China business to Grey Group
- Grey lands Vanke's property project
- Grey Mumbai appoints ECD
- Asfour Crystal shines on China with Grey
- PrimeCredit to push professional image
- Trio wins for Grey’s G2 Star Echo
- Grey Group beefs up creative team
- The Link names Grey's Wba for activation
- Grey ups Sethi to regional role