Doing good attracts good talent
Singapore - It is time to install those recycling bins at at the workplace as a recent survey found that practising environmentally-friendly policies may improve your organisation's chances of finding better talent.
According to the new Kelly Global Workforce Index conducted by Kelly Services, 91% of 3,000 Singaporeans say they would want to work for a company that is environmentally responsible.
In addition, 66% of respondents say a company's reputation for ethical conduct plays a deciding role in where to work.
A good and solid corporate reputation can even save the company money as well, as 53% say they would be willing to accept a lower salary or a lesser role to work for a firm with a reputation for "being environmentally friendly, caring about employees and other stakeholders".
Dhirendra Shantilal, senior vice-president of Kelly Services Asia Pacific says these results indicate that corporate transparency, accountability and social responsibility are becoming important factors for candidates when making a decision of where to work.
"This is important for employers when hiring new talent, as prospective employees take pride not only in what they do while at work but in what their organisation stands for and how it is perceived by the company," he adds.
Other findings from the survey include:
- Baby Boomers in Singapore are most particular with an organisation's ethical and social responsibility among the three age groups. Eighty-nine percent of Baby Boomers are more likely to work for a company that is environmentally responsible, compared with 83% and 79% of the Gen X and Gen Y respondents respectively.
- Baby Boomers (74%) also say they would consider an organisation's ethical code as a very important factor, compared with 71% of Gen X and 63% of Gen Y counterparts.
- In deciding where to work, 89% of Singapore workers surveyed would consider employees with policies and initiatives to help reduce the impact of global warming as very or somewhat important. This is below the Asia Pacific average of 92%.
More quality Lighthouse titles
Get your marketing department up to speed with Asia's most read marketing site
Direct them to Procurement Asia
- Kelly Services Singapore Pte Ltd
Kelly Services Singapore Pte Ltd Related Stories:
- Are your staff training for a career switch?
- Hiring plans to pick up in second half of 2012
- Singaporeans willing to relocate for work
- Hot Job Tuesday: HR Generalist
- Hot Job Tuesday: HR Manager
- Engineering and IT talent to receive 10% to 30% pay raise
- Global orientation essential for work
- Q&A: Carl Camden / Kelly Services Global
- Serving notice
- Disregard generational differences, HR says
- Hot Job Friday: Regional Recruitment Lead
- Kelly Services in a race to hire 3,000