MARKETING TV: Giving your brand a sporting chance
Sports marketing and sponsorship is on the rise in Singapore and Craig Mapleston, iris Singapore's managing director, outlines the advantages and pitfalls brands must be conscious of when they lace up the boots.
Mapleston told Marketing TV that brands need to change their mindset about sports sponsorships, as sport is not just a property it is "a cultural asset".
"Sport is ingrained in a lot of people's DNA," he said.
Mapleston said the successful brands involved in sports sponsorship are the ones that "really play the what the fan wants". He nominated Singapore's professional football competition, the S-League, and the Profitable Group's sponsorship of the English Premier Leagues as examples of sports sponsorship that could be improved.
"[With the Profitable Group] there's no depth. No-one knows what they do," he said.
Mapleson believes marketers need to focus more on activating their sports sponsorships and use them to sell products.
"The commercial aspect has been I think missed by a lot of sponsors. Sponsorships are viewed mainly as an awareness driver but it can do more," he said.
Iris Singapore is currently promoting the Barclays Singapore golf Open and was recently involved in activating Johnnie Walker's sponsorship of the local Formula One night race.
More quality Lighthouse titles
Managing people? For HR and leadership strategy, Human Resources has it covered.
Want to get on the right side of the procurement department?
Direct them to Procurement Asia
- Iris Singapore Pte Ltd
Iris Singapore Pte Ltd Related Stories:
- iris steps into the Middle East
- Iris Singapore appoints business director
- Driven revamps, NCS and Trafalgar appoint
- Iris gets Robinsons’ digital biz
- Heineken hands PR business to Iris
- iris makes creative hire
- iris appoints group account director
- Emirates appoints iris in Singapore
- iris beefs up creative team
- Tell your boss “I quit”
- New Flok's on the digital block
- Heineken launches marketing push
- Karunatilaka comes on board iris
- iris poaches from OgilvyOne
- Front End Engineer and/or Flash Developer, Iris Digital
- Senior Back End Engineer, Iris Digital
- Iris poaches MD from Bates 141
- Iris makes Low regional executive
- Iris Singapore's MD heads to London