Pernod Ricard banks on Chivalry
- Global Chivas 'Live with Chivalry' campaign rolls out here
- Early industry reaction
Malaysia – Chivas Regal has rolled out its global advertising 'Live with Chivalry' campaign to Malaysia as it attempts to keep hold of its market leader positioning while gunning for a 10% increase in sales locally this year.
TBWA-Tequila Malaysia is responsible for the creatives here, while also balancing the media account, and since its roll out in March has been a highly visible campaign.
"I liked the print ads, it was like 'kodawari' in Japanese, which means 'people who knows how to appreciate the good things in life'," OMD Malaysia's MD, Andreas Vogiatzakis, said.
"It’s for people with good taste and who want something elegant."
OMD are no strangers to the alcoholic beverage marketing, having won the RM15M Carlsberg Malaysia media account from Carat just last year.
Vogiatzakis added that the campaign had a nice word play with Chivas when they chose the word Chivalry.
But not all are convinced, and the ECD of a multinational ad agency who declined to be named said the campaign was "irresponsible and indifferent to 98% of the world".
"It makes people crave for things they don’t really need, feeding on pride, ego, status and wealth."
According to Chivas, the 50 million euros 'Live with Chivalry' global campaign aims to revive the values of chivalry and invites everyone to live a more fulfilled life – with honour, loyalty, gallantry and brotherhood.
"Johnnie Walker may have the aggressive crowd on the outskirts but Chivas Regal still holds a larger crowd base in both rural and outskirts," Aaron Ang, brand manager for Pernod Ricard Malaysia.
The campaign is now rolling out in markets such as China, Greece and Mexico.
According to the International Wine and Spirit Records and an internal estimate by Pernod Ricard for the Malaysian market, Chivas Regal is the market leader followed by Johnnie Walker.
- OMD Malaysia
- Pernod Ricard Malaysia
OMD Malaysia Related Stories:
- Genting says YNot
- Genting rekindles with the youth
- OMD Malaysia wins Genting media
- The future is automation: OMD
- OMD Malaysia appoints Lim as MD
- Danone Dumex connects to parents online
- A Famosa checks in with OMD
- McDonald's Prosperity: A brand in itself
- Lexus flexes hybrid muscle
- OMD jumps out with 3D execution
- McDonald's spreads love with a twist
- PHD’s Lim joins MUM’s SOB advisory board
- Watching media grow with technology
- Promotion provides creative freedom
- UPDATED: Zenith bags Tesco
- Nice One, Carlsberg starts catchphrase
- Facebook increasingly popular in Malaysia
- Four shop for Tesco media
- Ox-beer combo wins award
- Ox comes to life in chilling beer campaign